Information for asylum seekers


Asylum seekers, convention refugees and people granted subsidiarian protection with a secondary-school leaving certificate and/or university degree from a non-EU/EEA country can be admitted to a degree programme at the University of Vienna if they meet the admission requirements.

It is possible to apply for a degree programme – even in connection with a German language course at the Preparation Programme of the Vienna Universities (VWU)  – within the application periods. Asylum seekers are exempted from providing any legalisation of documents.

Studying at the University of Vienna

The info sheet "Studying at the University of Vienna" sums up the most important information for asylum seekers, convention refugees and people granted subsidiarian protection on numerous topics such as financial matters, selecting a programme, the admission procedure and the nostrification. It is available in German and English.

 Infosheet "Studying at the University of Vienna"


 79 kB


 98 kB



What can I study at the University of Vienna?
What do I have to bear in mind before starting my studies (in terms of financial matters)?
How do I get admitted to a degree programme?
Where do I get replacement certificates if I lost my school leaving certificate or university degrees?
Where can I attend a German language course as a prospective student of the University of Vienna?
Where do I find information on the registration and fees for the German language course?
How much is the tuition fee?
Where can I find information on how to plan my semester?
Who can help me in the first semester, resp. the STEOP?
What do I need to do for the nostrification of my university degree?
Who can help me with writing scientific texts?
I am not studying at the University of Vienna. Can I still get a library card?