Decree on Groups of Persons ("Personengruppenverordnung" – PersGV)

Individuals belonging to a group of persons according to the Decree on Groups of Persons, who have a recognised proof as listed below, may do the following at the University of Vienna:

Submit the scans of your documents as PDF files. Merge multiple proofs into one PDF file.

We have created a summarised version of the Decree on Groups of Persons on this page. This is intended to help you understand the complex legal text. Only the original legal text is valid. You can find it at “Legal Basis” on the bottom of this page.

Groups of Persons


Persons who have a residence permit due to the Asylum Act
Persons who are employed in diplomatic service
Persons with main place of residence in Austria (during the last five years before first applying for admission to a degree programme)
Persons who receive a scholarship
Secondary-school leaving certificate issued by an Austrian school abroad/South Tyrolean secondary-school of the second degree
Persons who work as journalists



My asylum procedure is completed. Which proof do I have to submit for my application for equal status with EU/EEA citizens regarding the tuition fee?
I am already a student at the University of Vienna. Do I have to proof that I belong to a group of persons?
What does "first-time application" mean?
I want to proof my belonging to a group of persons due to my marriage/civil partnership/parents. Which documents do I need?
What is a confirmation of registration?