Admission to the bachelor programme

Detailed information on the admission procedure for applicants with

  • secondary-school leaving certificate and
  • citizenship from an EU/EEA country or Switzerland and
  • German language level C1 or higher

If you are in your final school year and do not have your secondary-school leaving certificate yet, you can already apply for admission. As soon as you receive the document, upload it in u:space and complete the admission.


Winter semester 2024/25:

  • Application period: from 10 June to 5 September 2024
  • Admission period: from 11 July to 31 October 2024
  • Semester start: 1 October

Summer semester 2025:

  • Application period: from 11 November 2024 to 5 February 2025
  • Admission period: from 7 January to 31 March 2025
  • Semester start: 1 March

Schedule of the academic year

 Required documents

for the registration in u:space

  • your passport or personal ID card (front and back!) as JPEG or PNG file

for the application for admission

  • all pages (!) of your original secondary-school leaving certificate
    • together with a sworn translation (if not issued in German or English)
    • merged into one PDF file
    The application is even possible before your secondary-school leaving certificate is issued.
  • proof of German language proficiency at level C1 or higher (not needed if you have a secondary-school leaving certificate from a German-speaking country) merged into one PDF file
  • if necessary, proof of any additional exams merged into one PDF file

 Your steps in the admission procedure



Step 1: Complete the Online-Self-Assessment (OSA)

The Online-Self-Assessment (OSA) serves as a guide for choosing a degree programme. You will find out to what extent the chosen degree programme corresponds to your expectations and interests. You will also receive detailed feedback. Allow one to two hours to do this. The OSA requires no specific preparation, is not evaluated and does not have any impact on the reception of a study place.

After having completed the OSA, you receive your OSA code. You will need it in the further procedure.

Step 2: Prepare the required documents

  1. Scan all required documents and save them in proper format. Make sure that your files are easily readable and scanned in high quality.
  2. Merge several pages of the same document (e.g. front and back of the secondary-school leaving certificate plus translation) into one PDF file by means of an online tool of your choice.

Step 3: Apply for admission

  1. Activate your u:account in u:space within the application period. Make sure you remember the login data, because you will further need the u:account during your studies.
  2. Log in to u:space, complete the registration and select the degree programme of your choice. Upload the required documents. 
    • If you do not have your secondary-school leaving certificate yet, enter the relevant information. You can already submit the application and upload your secondary-school leaving certificate later.
  3. Enter the OSA code.
  4. Click on "continue to submission" and check the summary to see if the data you entered (especially your e-mail address) is correct. Then, click on "submit application".

Check the status of your application in u:space:

a) You have already uploaded a secondary-school leaving certificate. The status of your application is "submitted".

b) You have not uploaded any secondary-school leaving certificate yet. The status of your application is "amend" and the status of your secondary-school leaving certificate is "deficient!". This means you can upload your secondary-school leaving certificate later on.

As soon as the status of your application in u:space below "My applications" is "submitted", continue with step 4. 
This status does not change anymore!

 Registration in u:space

Step 4: Admission to the degree programme

This is how you can complete the admission procedure:

  1. Book an appointment for online first-time admission by using our appointment-booking tool.
    Detailed information on how to book an appointment
    As your identity needs to be verified, you have to complete this step in person. Representation by third parties is not possible.
  2. Pay the tuition fee/Students' Union fee after your appointment. The admission is completed as soon as the prescribed fee is received in u:space > Financial Matters > Tuition fee/Students' Union fee. 

Step 5: Order the u:card and create your semester schedule

As soon as the tuition fee/Students' Union fee is received, you can order your student ID card, the u:card.

Furthermore, you can print out your student documents (student record sheet and confirmation of enrolment) in u:space > Personal matters > My documents.

After the admission, you can create your semester schedule and register for courses. The registration deadlines are available in the course directory in u:find as well as in u:space.



  • My secondary-school leaving certificate is from an EU/EEA country or Switzerland, but I am a citizen of a non-EU/EEA country. How should I proceed?

    Message us via the contact form and specify the countries. We will send you information regarding your steps in the admission procedure via e-mail.

  • I have lost one of my documents, is a copy sufficient?

    No, your original documents have to be checked for authenticity by the Admission Office during your personal admission, as your documents are only digitally uploaded during your application.

    If you have lost one of the relevant documents for admission, you have to bring a duplicate or a notarised copy. A regular copy is not sufficient.

  • Is there a numerus clausus/minimum of required grades?

    There is no numerus clausus in Austria. Your grade point average is not relevant for the admission. Please note that some degrees have entrance exam procedures.

  • Shall I prepare for the OSA? How long does it take and will it be evaluated?

    You do not have to prepare for the OSA. It serves the purpose of evaluating yourself and your previous knowledge.

    Depending on which OSA you do, you will need between 30 and 70 minutes. There is no time limit, so you can take as much time as you need.

    The result of the OSA is only available to you.

  • What can I do if I have lost the login details for my u:account?

    If you have lost or forgotten the login details for your u:account, contact the Helpdesk of the Vienna University Computer Center.

  • I have interrupted the Online-Self-Assessment. Can I take it again?

    You may interrupt the OSA and continue with it later, however, this is not recommended. 

  • I have an International Baccalaureate (IB). What do I have to bear in mind?

    The admission to a degree programme at the University of Vienna is only possible if your IB Diploma meets the following requirements:

    • You have to have reached a minimum of 24 points (an admission with an IB Certificate is not possible)
    • Among at least six subjects of examinations are
      • a foreign language (also possibly German)
      • mathematics
    • A minimum of at least three subjects have to be passed in "Higher Level."

    When applying for admission in u:space, specify Switzerland as the issuing country of your secondary-school leaving certificate, even if you have not finished school there. An upload of the IB document as PDF file in u:space is sufficient Do not send any documents to the Admission Office via terrestrial mail! You will have to present these only at the online first-time admission.

    German as subject in the IB Diploma can be accepted as proof German language proficiency at level A2 in the admission procedure. This does not replace the proof of German language proficiency at level C1 that is required upon admission.

    If you have a GIB (gemischtsprachiges IB), specify Germany as the issuing country. The requirements stay the same, the GIB can be accepted as proof of German knowlegde on C1 level.

    Detailed information on the proof of German language proficiency

  • Can I complete the Online-Self-Assessment anytime?

    Yes, you can complete the OSA anytime. The OSA code is valid for 18 months.

  • I already have a university degree. Can I apply with this certificate instead of my secondary-school leaving certificate?

    Yes, if your higher education degree certificate is from a degree programme with a duration of at least three years (full time or at least 180 ECTS, e.g. a three-year bachelor programme) at a recognised post-secondary educational institution.

  • I have previously completed the OSA. Do I have to do it again?

    It can be used if your OSA code is not older than 18 months, and you have not applied for admission with this OSA code yet.

  • I have switched from another university to the University of Vienna. How can I get the exams taken at the other university recognised?

    The Studienprogrammleitung (SPL) is responsible for the recognition of exams. Once you are admitted to the University of Vienna, you can apply for the recognition of your exams in the StudiesServiceCenter (SSC) or StudiesServiceUnit (SSS) responsible for your degree programme.

    List of SSS and SSC

  • Are there any bachelor programmes taught in English?

    No, even if several courses are taught entirely or partly in another language, the language of instruction of all bachelor/diploma programmes without entrance exam procedure offered by the University of Vienna is German. Because of this, a proof of language proficiency in German at level C1 is required for the admission to any bachelor/diploma programme.