Equal status with EU/EEA citizens


Under certain conditions, citizens of non-EU/EEA countries can be treated as equal to EU/EEA citizens regarding the tuition fee regulations. In case of equal status, the same tuition fee regulation as for EU/EEA citizens applies. 

 Required documents

  • Residence permit/limited leave of remain or proof of decree on certain groups of persons 


  • For summer semester: until 31 March
  • For winter semester: until 31 October

Who can apply for equal status?

This is possible for degree students to whom the decree on certain groups of persons applies or degree students who have equal status regarding the access to the job market due to international law (§91 Abs. 1 UG).

Also, the following residence permits are accepted (without exception):

Limited leaves of remain ("Aufenthaltsbewilligungen")
  • Selbständiger
  • Künstler
  • Sonderfälle unselbständiger Erwerbstätigkeit
  • Forscher
  • Familiengemeinschaft
Residence permits ("Aufenthaltstitel")
  • Rot-Weiß-Rot – Karte
  • Rot-Weiß-Rot – Karte plus
  • Blaue Karte EU
  • Aufenthaltstitel "Familienangehöriger"
  • Daueraufenthalt – EU (issued in Austria)
  • Daueraufenthalt - EU (issued in another EU member country) in conjunction with a valid Austrian limited leave to remain ("Aufenthaltsbewilligung")

 Equal status for holders of an "Aufenthaltsbewilligung - Student"

The application for equal status for holders of an "Aufenthaltsbewilligung - Student" is only possible in conjunction with a proof of decree on certain groups of persons or with a "Daueraufenthalt - EU".

Your steps in the application procedure

  1. Scan all required documents and make sure that they are easily readable and saved in high quality. Merge all documents into one PDF file with an online tool of your choice.
  2. Fill in the online form in the Servicedesk and add the documents as attachment (in the top of the online form).
  3. Every application is processed individually. It therefore takes several weeks until you get an e-mail to your u:account e-mail address by the Admission Office.
  4. Pay the prescribed fee.



I have equal status. Why is the tuition fee prescribed?
Why do I have to apply for equal status again?
I have already paid the tuition fee. Now I have equal status. How do I get the money back?
I am a citizen of Türkiye and have the so called "Befreiungschein" of the Arbeitsmarktservice (AMS). Can I apply for equal status?